Subscribe For Updates To This Blog

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Dubrovnik, Croatia - A Very Pleasant Next Stop

I was looking over my blog and realized that I've not posted anything on the rest of that cruise since our stop in Venice. So I'm going to pick up the ball and run with it.

This post is all about our stop in Dubrovnik, Croatia.

First, I must say that I had very low expectations about the place. And shame on me; I did not do my usual research. That being said we learned a bunch during our time there.

What made Dubrovnik so special to me was its old city. Dubrovnik was once the ancient city-state of Ragusa. At one point it was one of the only city states on the Adriatic to rival Venice. It's wealth was derived from maritime activities and the aristocracy were skilled diplomats.

The old city was completely walled. While the walls around the city were stunning it was what was contained within the walls that made the city so remarkable.

Dubrovnik's old city appears to be a perfectly preserved and pristine medieval city. When I say pristine I really mean clean and perfect in just about every way. There is no motor-traffic within the old city which makes it all the more quaint.

Also, because of the ethnic warring that has gone in the region in the last couple of hundred years the place does seem that heavily "touristy".











The people were great too. Very friendly and open. Many of them wanted to talk about the presidential election. Jamey and I had lunch made at a local grocery store and ate on square with a fountain. We had a long conversation with a Croat sea captain who was in for the day. He was drinking a beer and visiting with neighbors. We were instantly brought into the conversation and were treated as old friends. In the photo to the left a Croat musician in traditional dress plays for us. The fountain behind him is actually an ancient drinking fountain which is placed right inside the main city gates. You can see a woman refilling her water bottle.










This photo is taken from top of the wall. There is a walk-way on top of the wall all the way around the city. As you might imagine it has spectacular views. The structure behind me here is fortress designed to protect the North end of the city wall.











The old city is very much still mostly residential. And most of the "streets" look like this quiet & peaceful alley. Here a feline resident takes time for nap.
















But here's the cool thing: trips like this become so much easier to take when you are cruising free as a enrichment speaker. And make no mistake you can do it too (if you are so inclined) and you get some help. That's precisely why I designed my Speak on Cruise Ships program and the Speakers Cruise Free Coaching Club. I hope you will allow yourself the opportunity to make your cruising dreams come true.

1 comment:

Marja said...

Thanks for your post on dubrovnik and the beautiful pictures. When I was young Dubrovnik was already a popular destination in Holland. It is one on my wishlist