Subscribe For Updates To This Blog

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

First Day on The Brilliance of the Seas

Tuesday 3-10-09
Dear Blog readers,

We are cruising the high seas
.
Barcelona was magnificent – beyond my wildest dreams. Food, people, scenery, cathedrals, architecture, sitting at sidewalk cafes watching the world go by – all so wonderful.
Now we are on the Brilliance of the Seas heading for Palermo, Italy. In between stopping at ports, we will have 4 and a half days at sea, and I will be giving 5 presentations.
I’m not going in to great detail today because after I type this, I have to figure out how to send it and that might take the whole cruise. I practiced doing it from my home, but this is trickier.

Once I figure this out, I will tell you more about speaking on this cruise ship.

One thing before I forget. My previous cruises were all on Celebrity and they sent us detailed info on what to do once we get on board. Royal Caribbean (and many other cruise lines) send only a contract with no other instructions.

Luckily, we knew to go to the restaurant and ask for a table assignment. (Speakers usually don’t get a table assigned ahead of time.) So we are at a lovely table with other English speaking passengers.

However, one of the other enrichment speakers didn’t know about this so he was one of the last ones to get a table. He and his wife ended up all alone at a table for two. His wife is extremely cranky about this. She says "This man is a speaker but he never talks to me at dinner. So now I’m stuck with him not talking to me for the whole cruise." She offered to switch places with me. I graciously declined.

Too bad they don’t have a Daniel Hall. We are all so lucky to have him take us by the hand and lead us step by step through this whole list of things-to-do at the beginning of a cruise.
By the way, Daniel, your tip about going to the Pier Coordinator worked perfectly. We just breezed past all the people in line and zipped right on board.

I’m off to the computer room to figure out how to send this. Hopefully you will receive it before Christmas.

Cruising along,
Rita Emmett
Author of the Procrastinator's Guide to Authorship
http://www.helpwritingbook.com/

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am extremely jealous Aunt Bunny!
Until I myself am a world traveler I plan on living vicariously through you, so keep us updated. :]

Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Love you,
-Jessa

Linda said...

I found your blog and like you I have just started cruising as a speaker. See my blog at http://www.rickandlindasfareastadventure.blogspot.com
We have cruised as paying passengers but this was our first cruise where I presented 3 lectures/participation on Tai Chi.
About your posting issue. What I did was type out my post and edit it in Word. Then I just copied and pasted it on the blog, and the total time it took to submit it was a minute. Instead of composing it online and paying for the time.
We cruised on RC and had great interaction with them regarding seating etc.
I started my blog,for my family and friends to read, and it ended up being a great reminder of the whirlwind days of our trip, so we enjoyed it afterwards too.
Have a wonderful time!
Linda