Subscribe For Updates To This Blog

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Report from "The Bridge"

We are just home in Spain from a month "Down Under", where we completed back to back cruises around Australia & New Zealand on board Rhapsody of the Seas. Thank you Daniel!!

I was the "Destination" speaker and Kathy ran the craft classes. We both played to capacity crowds - over 40 in every craft class and full theatres for my talks. The link (http://www.craftycruising.com/) shows you some of Kathy's participants at her classes. She had great Aboriginal and Maori themed asctivities as well as the usual bon voyage and cruising items. The feedback was mind blowing - great, positive and unanimous critique.

My talks were based around my standard cultural observation material enhanced with some talks specific to the cruise - Wild about New Zealand, the Lands of Captain James Cook etc. But these are all helping me to develop some new themes around explorers and the silk road for future cruises.

We had wonderful itineraries, great travelling companions and superb support from the staff and officers.

But the highlight was an invitation from the Captain, who we've met on several RCCL cruises before, to give commentaries from the bridge over the PA as we sailed through the fjords of the southern sounds, and a few days later for the evening cruise around volcanic White Island.

After a little rapid research I had some excellent material for these talks. After the first day up there the captain thanked me publicly over the PA fsystem or my "well informed talks" which "made the day for everyone". And on the final night as he gave his farewell to each sitting at dinner in the main restaurant he commended the crew and thanked me once again - saying "I personally very much enjoyed the excellent commentaries of Mr Andrew Johnson as we sailed through the Southern Sounds and around White Island".

Our contact on board and the cruise director were both superb. They both kept in contact with us throughout and reacted positively to every request or suggestion. My talks were broadcast on the stateroom TVs - I was on two channels at once for a few days! And the technical team gave me a DVD copy to bring with me.

So now we are preparing for our next - a Transatlantic on board Navigator of the Seas in April.

As Daniel knows we were sceptical about his promise at first. But a year on let me tell you it works for us!! He and his service have exceeded the promises. Long may you continue my friend.

No comments: